ADVISORY: IPOPHL SERVICES IN VIEW OF THE DECLARATION OF A MODIFIED ENHANCED COMMUNITY QUARANTINE OVER THE NATIONAL CAPITAL REGION
The Philippine Intellectual Property Office released the following circulars:
- Memorandum Circular No. 2020-013 dated 15 May 2020, regarding the IPOPHL guidelines on the work-from- home arrangement or such other alternative work arrangements during the MECQ;
- Memorandum Circular No. 2020-013A dated 16 May 2020, regarding the amendments to the extension of deadlines and payments as provided in Item 5 of IPOPHL Memorandum Circular No. 2020-13; and
- Memorandum Circular No. 2020-013B dated 20 May 2020, regarding the amendments to Items 1, 3, 4, 8, 11, and 13 of IPOPHL Memorandum Circular No. 2020-13, in view of the Presidential Proclamation No. 944 dated 19 May 2020 declaring Monday, 25 May 2020, as a regular holiday throughout the country in observance of Eid’l Fitr (Feast of Ramadhan).
Please note the important details of the office guidelines, particularly the use of the online filing system, the resumption of the cashiering and documentary receiving operations, the extension of the period for submission of all papers, pleadings, documents, alphabetical schedule for 28 May 2020 to 02 June 2020, and suspension of hearings until 25 May 2020, among others.
The pertinent portions of the above-mentioned circulars are quoted below, to wit:
- “IPOPHL shall resume limited regular operations at its main office commencing on 26 May 2020.”
- “New and renewal applications for trademarks shall only be filed online through the IPOPHL electronic filing system. Documents related to registered marks as well as pending trademark applications emanating from applicants, registrants, their agents and successors-in-interests, shall be transmitted only through eDocfile.”
- “New applications for patent, utility model, industrial design emanating from or transmitted within the National Capital Region shall be filed online through the IPOPHL electronic filing system except voluminous invention applications. Voluminous applications are those which exceed 250 pages, which may be filed manually or via mail or courier.”
- “Scanned copies of required original documents shall be submitted through the online filing system in lieu of the originals. Parties, however, may be required to submit the original document if questions arise regarding the authenticity or due execution of the scanned copy.”
- “Cashiering operations at the IPOPHL Main Office shall resume on 28 May 2020. It shall be open 8AM-5PM, with cut- off at 4PM, from Mondays to Fridays. The cashier shall accept only payments that cannot be made through IPOPHL’s online payment system, including but not limited to Patent applications and Copyright registrations, replies, services and other requests. Payment can also be done through postal money order.”
- “The operations of IPOPHL’s documentary receiving sections shall resume on 28 May 2020. Documents shall be received from 8AM to 5PM, with cut-off at 4PM, from Mondays to Fridays.”
- The deadlines for submission of papers/replies/documents including payment of fees shall be as follows:
“a. Deadlines falling from 16 March 2020 to 31 March 2020 initially extended until 31 May 2020, are further extended until 30 June 2020;
“b. Deadlines falling from 01 April 2020 to 30 April 2020, initially extended for sixty (60) days, are further extended until 30 June 2020.
“c. Deadlines falling from 01 May 2020 to 30 June 2020 will be extended until 30 July 2020.
“Payment of filing fees including claim of convention priority fee of new applications for patents, utility models, industrial designs and trademarks with or without claim of convention priority date filed through the IPOPHL electronic filing systems during the abovementioned periods shall likewise be due on the extended deadlines aforementioned.”
“The date when the application was filed online shall be deemed the filing date.”
- Transactions for 28 May 2020 to 02 June 2020 shall be accepted only in accordance with the following alphabetical schedule:
|28 May 2020||A-C|
|29 May 2020||D-H|
|01 June 2020||I-O|
|02 JUNE 2020||P-Z|
9. “Scheduled hearings before the IPOPHL shall remain suspended until 25 May 2020. These include mediation hearings unless the parties request for online hearing or conference. Hearings scheduled 26 May 2020 onwards, including online mediation, shall proceed unless otherwise advised. Parties are strongly encouraged to comply with national guidelines on social distancing, the wearing of masks and other personal protective equipment.”
10. “Access to IPOPHL mailboxes shall be allowed starting 26 May 2020.”
You may access the above-mentioned circulars via the IPOPHL website:
Did you know that protecting your intellectual property could increase the value of your business? If you would like to discuss how you might proceed with registering your trademark, copyright, patent, and other intellectual property, you may schedule an appointment with @The Law Firm of Mallari Fiel Brillante Ronquillo thru email@example.com.